S.G.M / C.G.B.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://sgmcgb.forumotion.net/

HomeSearchLatest imagesLog inRegister

Musicians Corner!

Go down 
+2
Gray
MarsHottentot
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 am

This is where I'll talk to myself about gear.

Musicians Corner! 36809710
I've been on a real FUZZ trip as of late. I picked up a cheapie from Guyatone imaginatively dubbed TZ2 'The Fuzz' for 68 bucks. It's a replica of the old Shin-Ei Super-Fuzz, circuit wise, that was sold by Univox among others. I didn't expect much and, really, I only got it to quell the thirst 'till I have the cash to get a bigger, crazier Fuzz (which I'll get into later). Imagine my surprise when it turns out that the damn thing actually sounds pretty brutal - very close to the original Super-Fuzz. Not exact, but close. Really chunky, like a dump truck plowing through the side of an oak house when you use power chords and waves of pulsating static when you go for anything more complex. Definitely worth the small sum paid.

Musicians Corner! Dod_fx10
A few months back I bought a modified DOD Supra Distortion. These things are pretty dull vanilla pedals on their own, but the modded one was cheap so I figured "fuck it". Well, whoever did it created one of the most unbound, terrifying pedals I've ever stomped - it's ultra fucking loud and is almost entirely uncontrollable and unusable for anything other than emergency cauterization.

Of course, I have a Digitech Grunge pedal. Unfortunately it's not the original DOD model and is missing the best parts - the embarrassing control names:
Musicians Corner! Dod-gr10
And where the manual told you how to get the sounds of Melvins, Napalm Death, Mudhoney etc. which was 90% of the reason I bought it, are just blank pages now.

Musicians Corner! Dano_b10
I also have a Danelectro Black Coffee freebie that truly sucks, but I use anyway, just cuz.

From the above you've figured it out: I'm poor - most of my money for musical instruments went into guitars (my crown jewel being an all aluminum strato-mutant). Well, that was then, this is now. While I'm not rolling in dough, I'm now in the market for a boutique Fuzz and lemme show you where I'm at:

Musicians Corner! Fuzzwa10
FUZZ WAR from Death By Audio

Which would work, for sure, but here's the two I'm really vacillating over:

Musicians Corner! Supers10
The Supersonic Fuzz Gun from DBA stick with the video, shit gets nuts.

But 90% likely I'm getting this:
Musicians Corner! Red_wi10
The Fuzz God II from Red Witch. Holy Fucking Shit.

Back to top Go down
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 10:13 am

That's pretty awesome, dude.
Have you thought about getting the 100% accurate Shin-Ei Super-Fuzz remake from Wattson Classic?
Musicians Corner! Superf10

Back to top Go down
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 10:16 am

It IS a killer pedal, no doubt, but it's about the same price as the Fuzz God II (about 190 - 200 bucks on the 'bay) and the Fuzz God goes just that much further into insanity.

But, Jesus, the Wattson is maybe a little ... meatier? I dunno. I'll have to think hard about it.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Contributor

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 2:38 pm

i cannot (or maybe should say would not) tolerate paying more than $50 for a pedal. once i paid more than that for a used wah, but i was in a pinch (like, literally had a show that night).

i found success trolling the pawnshops around town scooping up old shitty boss and dod pedals for $30, and then creating different combinations of sound. eventually i came up with five pedals in a certain order that worked for me. when a $30 pedal breaks, who cares? it was $30. go back out and find something different you know?

i once saw a buzz osborne gear video where he said that he only uses cheap, mass produced pedals, so when he's in any city in the world, he can always duck into any music shop and get a replacement. it's more about the amp and guitar, as long as those are solid, the pedals are just gravy.

or, you could just slash your speakers a la the kinks.
Back to top Go down
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Oh, good advice Gray, because I'm very busy touring like a madman with my very popular band and I haven't really got the whole guitar / amp thing down my 25 years of playing. Rolling Eyes

Your unintentionally smug advice aside, what else am I gonna spend me money on? I'm not a drug addict or an alcoholic. If you listened to those demos you know full well - no combination of DOD or Boss pedals are gonna dive into oscillations. If it was just a straight up effect pedal - sure - I'm not spending over 50 bucks. A fair amount of the boutique pedals out there are way over-priced, no doubt. But this shit goes way beyond that.

Not to mention the amount of money you pour (and re-pour) into a bunch of stock pedals all adds up to the same amount as you'd pay on a boutique pedal in the long run, especially when you factor in the 3 year warranty a lot of the 'high end' manufacturers are offering now. Plus, not being a very macho man, the only time I had a pedal break was when I lent it out.

To a drunk.

And, clearly I'm not anti-DOD or BOSS, though I'll never touch an Arion again.

So what are you doing now that Sonn Av Krusher are done?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Contributor

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:29 pm

hmmm, was that actually smug, or just me stating my opinion?

if you want to spend a bunch of money on guitar effects, have at it. my point was that if you are playing loud, noisy music (and maybe you're not, but i always was/am), then there's really no point in getting too particular about specific effects, as they will mostly be drowned out in an extreme volume situation.

tone is one thing. but effects are quite another, and for those i'm not certain they'd be worth the scratch unless you could actually hear them over the cacophony of brutality (another possible new band name).

what kind of music is it anyway?
Back to top Go down
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 8:14 am

Gray wrote:
my point was that if you are playing loud, noisy music (and maybe you're not, but i always was/am) then there's really no point in getting too particular about specific effects, as they will mostly be drowned out in an extreme volume situation.

smug
[smuhg]
Use smug in a Sentence
–adjective, smug⋅ger, smug⋅gest.
1. contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness; complacent.
2. trim; spruce; smooth; sleek.

It's alright, most noise rockers are smug (both Buzz & Albini have distilled it to an art form) - it's one of our charms.

Gray wrote:
what kind of music is it anyway?

You've heard it, you smug bastard.
Penta Cons
Back to top Go down
Gray
Contributor

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 4:40 pm

ah, touche.

yes, penta cons, what up with you guys? ever gonna play some shows?

i'm still anti-$100 stompboxes though. maybe you could hire bobby mcferrin to simulate the sounds you need with his mouth as opposed to a pedal. or that guy from the police academy movies...michael winslow or something...that guy was great!
Back to top Go down
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 pm

Fuck yeah!
Winslow in Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams doin' Hendrix - I'D KILL FOR THAT TONE!
OH SHIT!
Back to top Go down
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 7:56 am

And NO, no Penta Cons shows as it's not really a band as much as a 'demo tape' for my abilities.

I've started another group called Ninja Boots that I'm doing with another guy, but we need to get a kick ass drummer and bassist. It's more pop oriented in structure - verses and choruses - and more Am Rep / late 80's Sub Pop than Penta Cons, too. Still in it's infancy, but already more 'real' than Penta Cons.

You retire?
Back to top Go down

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 am

As a bassist this pedal issue is always a pain in the ass. You gotta spend over $100 (often over $150) to get anything to sound halfway decent (i.e. retain low end), & then half the time yr guitarist is just strumming like crazy occupying all sonic territory so that you might as well have bought a used DOD anyhow. Of course it makes a big difference if you're recording or playing live: Buzz, for one, uses a bunch of different effects (& guitars, for that matter) on studio albums, but live I believe it's always the Boss bass distortion. On the other hand, Jared Warren, the current Melvins bassist, uses a Barker Assmaster fuzz (wch you oughta take a look at), wch runs about $250 new. I scored one used for $185 & love it. You definitely lose some of its tonal peculiarities live, but it's still loud as eff and has a blend for dry signal. (Review: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvhXMBPSskI[/url])

None of you guys are based in Chicago, are ya?
Back to top Go down
MarsHottentot

MarsHottentot

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:47 pm

We're actually both in Atlanta. Are you seriously having difficulty finding band members in CHICAGO. Is the scene that dead?
As far as the pedal, it is fuckin' nuts I do like the Maestro Brassmaster sound, but 250 is about 50 bucks too much.

I know what you mean about losing tone live - my nightmare is sounding like Jucifer - all blunt trauma with no sharp force entry wounds.

This is one obnoxious pedal.

Have you considered the Double Muff for bass? I read good things on Harmony Central.

Back to top Go down
seattlesound666

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Killer fuzz that i use.   Musicians Corner! EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 10:39 pm

it's in newcastle united colours,handmade,you get a free wowy pop & stickers with it too.
costs a bloody fortune but it slays.
Back to top Go down
bassmike200

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: mmm... fuzzzzzzz....   Musicians Corner! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 am

As a bassist (hence the name) I've tried all manner of stuff to give me some nasty obnoxious grind (usually to make the guitarist's smooth ass metal drive sound a bit nastier) I currently employ a "no longer in production" Yamaha Magic Stomp for Bass (UB99B I think...) and a modded Boss OD3 (modded for guitar overdrive but sounds good with my bass) and my (believe it or not useable and damn good) Line 6 Lowdown 150, I have no photos to post, I have no audio examples I just have a rig that sounds nasty and filthy on the bass! Best pedal for bass fuzz I've seen (but not yet acquired) is the Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff (I shall be investing in one!).

That's all I can say on pedals!
Back to top Go down
endsjustifymeans

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:38 am

Have you considered any dwarfcraft equipment?

http://www.dwarfcraft.com/Distortion_and_Fuzz.html

I use a Secret Destroyer, Shiva, Eau Claire Thunder and (Though it's not a fuzz) a Robot Devil and could not be any happier with any of it. If you are after boutique fuzzy crazyness, you can't do better IMO. Boris agrees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Musicians Corner! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musicians Corner!   Musicians Corner! Empty

Back to top Go down

Musicians Corner!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
S.G.M / C.G.B. :: Shiny Grey Monotone :: This, That & The Other-
Jump to: